PTBCCT CEU Policy
New and Updated CEU Policy
November 26, 2018
The Physical Therapy Board of Craniofacial and Cervical Therapeutics (PTBCCT) recognizes many of us have other areas of specialization that require CEUs. The PTBCCT understands the time commitment and costs associated with continued educational courses. We also recognize not all courses you take will apply towards your CCTT CEU documentation. As an organization, we want to retain our current CCTTs and continue to grow our membership.
The PTBCCT has approved changes to the reporting period for CEUs, the number of CEUs required for the reporting period, and cost of annual dues.
On behalf of the PTBCCT, we want to thank each of you and your commitment by supporting the organization with your annual dues and attending our AAOP preconference course. The sharing of your knowledge with physical therapists will hopefully inspire other physical therapist to specialize in the management of TMD and orofacial pain by becoming a CCTT.
Physical Therapy Board of Craniofacial and Cervical Therapeutics
A) Reporting Period for CEUs
- The CEU reporting period will change from a one-year period to a 2-year period.
- The 2-year reporting period for CEUs will be due on or before midnight EST April 15 of the 2nd year of the 2-year reporting period.
- Midnight EST April 15 date will be the same for all future biennial reporting periods.
- The CEU reporting form will be made available to the CCTT on the PTBCCT web site from January 1st thru midnight EST April 15 of the year CEUs are due.
- The change to the reporting period for CEUs will take place immediately. *
B) Number of CEUs per reporting period
The number of CEUs will change from 20 CEUs for a one-year period to 30 CEUs for the new 2-year reporting period. This change will take place immediately. *
* The current new 2-year reporting period for the required 30 CEUs will be from
April 25, 2018 thru midnight EST April 15, 2020.
The next 4 reporting periods will be as follows:
30 CEUs will be due by midnight EST April 15, 2022
30 CEUs will be due by midnight EST April 15, 2024
30 CEUs will be due by midnight EST April 15, 2026
30 CEUs will be due by midnight EST April 15, 2028
C) Cost of annual dues
Annual dues will increase from $100 to $150 and will be due EACH YEAR. Annual dues will be due on or before midnight EST April 15. The midnight EST April 15 date will remain the same for each year. Payment of annual dues can be made on the PTBCCT website from January 1st thru midnight EST April 15 of each year.
D) Non-compliant and Reinstatement Policy
With the changes made to the CEU reporting period and number of CEUs, changes have been made to the “Reinstatement Policy”. The Reinstatement Policy will be changed to; “Non-compliant and Reinstatement Policy”. The CCTT is encouraged to read this revised policy.
Obtaining Continuing Education Units to apply towards
the CCTT certification examination and to maintain CCTT status
The next biennial reporting period is April 25, 2018 thru midnight EST April 15, 2020
CEU documentation form will be available January 1, 2020
These dates include all educational sessions that are offered at the Chicago 2018 and San Diego 2019 AAOP meeting for CEU credits.
CCTT’s must obtain 30 continuing education units (CEUs) for each biennial period in order to maintaining their status. CE requirements are intended to maintain competence, update current knowledge and enhance clinical skills and judgment beyond the levels required for entry-level practice. CE activities must focus on increasing knowledge, skills and abilities related to the practice of Physical Therapy with emphasis on Craniofacial and Cervical Therapeutics. CEUs submitted must be supported by a course syllabus and certificate to show proof that the subject matter is consistent with what is outlined by the PTBCCT. The courses taken must address one or more of the following areas: Cervical Spine, TMD, OFP, Headaches, Pain Sciences, Oral Surgery, related Dental/Medical Pathology and Sleep Disorders. The PTBCCT board reserves the right to review the documentation and approve or disapprove of any submitted course.
As information continually changes, it is important for professionals to learn the latest evidence specific to the evaluation and management of patients with cervical spine and temporomandibular pain/dysfunction syndromes. CE requirements are meant to ensure that CCTT’s continue to:
- Stay on the cutting edge in the field of Craniofacial and Cervical Therapeutics
- Obtain current professional development information
- Explore new knowledge in specific content areas
- Master new physical therapy-related skills and techniques
- Expand approaches to effective physical therapy
- Further develop professional judgment
- Conduct professional practice in an ethical and appropriate manner
CEUs must be earned during the reporting period in which you are becoming re-certified. A course must be completed before the end of the reporting period before the credits will be considered. If you have a question as to whether the content of a course you would like to take is acceptable, please submit the following; name of course, the syllabus, the speaker and their CV for the committee to review for next year. Therefore, CEUs earned in addition to the required number for the current reporting period cannot be applied toward the next reporting period.
CEU Calculation – CEUs are based on contact hours. Contact hours are defined as the number of actual clock hours spent in direct participation in a structured education format as a learner. 1 CEU is equivalent to 1 contact hour. CEUs will be awarded only for activities that are completed within your reporting period. CEUs in excess of the amount required cannot be carried over for credit in subsequent reporting periods. CEUs cannot be earned prior to certification.
Documentation – Original documentation confirming participation in an activity and or certificates of completion must be kept for 2 years after the reporting period has ended (see category description for documentation specifics).
Contact Information – Changes in contact information must be provided to the PTBCCT. Failure to keep contact information current may result in suspension of certification. Please contact PTBCCT with your personal profile and to verify and/or update your contact information:
Category A: PTBCCT Approved Provider Programs (no CEU maximum)
|Possible Activities||Number of CEUs||Required Documentation|
|Workshops, Seminars, Conferences, Webinars||As awarded by providers||Certificate of Attendance|
|Home Study Courses||As awarded by providers||Documentation of Completion, PTBCCT may require exam results if required by course.|
Category B – Professional Development: A maximum of 30 CEUs can be achieved in this category.
- Activities in this category have been defined by the PTBCCT.
- The number of CEUs awarded for an activity is determined by the respective providers.
- Speaking engagements can be counted only once per topic.
- If an abstract is connected to a presentation, CE credit can only be obtained for one activity or the other (i.e., an abstract and presentation on the same topic – only one will be awarded CE credit).
- If a poster is connected to a presentation, CE credit can only be obtained for one activity or the other (i.e., a poster and presentation on the same topic – only one will be awarded CE credit).
- Articles, textbooks, abstracts, home study courses and multimedia must be published during reporting period to receive CE credit.
|Possible Activities||Number of CEUs||Required Documentation|
Speaker at a conference (1)
CEUs per topic based on time (1 CEU = 1 hour)
Letter of acknowledgement from the conference coordinator (date of presentation must be included in the letter)
|Panelist at a conference (1)||CEUs per topic based on time ( 1 CEU = 1 hour)||Letter of acknowledgement from the conference coordinator (date of presentation must be included in the letter)|
|Author of an article in a refereed journal (2)||
Primary = 20 CEUs per article
Secondary = 12.5 CEUs per article
|Guidelines for authors and copy of article|
|Author of an abstract in a refereed journal (2)||
Primary = 10 CEUs per abstract
Secondary = 5 CEUs per abstract
|Guidelines for authors and copy of abstract|
|Author of a published textbook (2)||
Primary = 20 CEUs per book
Secondary = 12.5 CEUs per book
|Copy of title page, including the publication date|
|Primary author of a chapter in a published textbook (2)||10 CEUs per book||Copy of title page, including the publication date and table of contents or list of contributors|
|Author of a poster presentation – peer reviewed or refereed (2)||
Primary = 10 CEUs per presentation
Secondary = 5 CEUs per presentation
Letter of acknowledgement
Primary author of published multimedia material
(CD-ROM, audio or video) (2)
|15 CEUs per publication||Copy of publication and copy of multimedia CD, CDROM or DVD, etc.|
|Primary author of a home study course (2)||Up to 10 CEUs||Letter of approval, requires syllabus and is based on PTBCCT committee approval|
|Exam item writer (4)||5 CEUs per year of active item writing||Letter of acknowledgment from exam company|
- The conference/seminar must be intended for an audience of healthcare professionals (i.e. to include, but not limited to ATCs, PTs, RNs, PAs, PTAs, DC, DO, MD, DDS). The actual content presented by a speaker or panelist must pertain to the domains identified by the PTBCCT, Cervical Spine, TMD, OFP, Headaches, Pain Sciences, Oral Surgery, related Dental/Medical Pathology and Sleep Disorders.
- The following explanations apply to publication activities:
- Published: prepared for commercial distribution.
- Journal: a periodical containing scholarly articles and/or current information on research and development in a particular field.
- Referred: the manuscript/document has been reviewed by an editor and one or more specialists prior to publication.
- Includes PTBCCT home study reviewers and reviewers of refereed publications.
- Includes PTBCCT exam item writers and exam item writers for other healthcare professional exams, must supply copies of questions. A minimum of 1 reference per question must be provided and each reference must be different. Please provide the criteria you were given to support the questions you submitted. This is based on board approval, minimum of 5 questions must be submitted.
Category C – Post-Certification College/University Coursework (no CEU maximum)
- CEUs are awarded for successful completion of college/university courses if the content of the course falls within the domains identified by the PTBCCT.
- The college/university attended must be accredited by an agency recognized by the US Department of Education.
- In order to be eligible, a course must be assigned credit hours and listed on an official transcript.
- In order for practicum courses, clinical and internship experiences to be eligible, credit hours must be earned and listed as such on an official transcript.
- 1 classroom hour of lecture or lab = 1 CEU, submit course syllabus indicating how many hours course met per semester.
- Teaching a college course is acceptable for CE credit. 1 classroom hour of lecture or lab = 1 CEU, if you can show this is the first time you have taught the course or if the course is updated since it was previously offered, provide updated course material to the PTBCTT CEU committee. The course must be relevant to Cervical Spine, TMD, OFP, Headaches, Pain Sciences, Oral Surgery, related Dental/Medical Pathology and Sleep Disorders. There is a limit of 2 courses per year or 2 semesters per year for maximum of 6 CEUs, no more than 3 CEUs per class or per semester, for maximum of 6 CEUs. The overall total for teaching cannot exceed 10 CEUs.
- Non-credit college courses are not acceptable for CE credit in Category C.
Courses must be listed individually.
Do not list the entire degree program or school semester as a single document.
|Possible Activities||Number of CEUs||Documentation Required|
|College/university official course||I CEU=1 hour of classroom time, as pertains to college/university||Official transcript from accredited college/university|
|Residency as defined by the PTBCCT domain,(i.e. residency must pertain to Cervical Spine, TMD, OFP, Headaches, Oral surgery and related dental/medical pathology)||20 CEUs per year as determined by residency program||Official transcript from accredited college/university or letter from residency program coordinator|
Category D – Individualized Options (3 CEUs maximum)
- The content of the program must fall within the domains identified by the PTBCCT as delineated on our website. PTs and healthcare providers must be the primary audience and the educational content must be at or above entry level.
- CE credit is NOT earned in this category for viewing educational multimedia (e.g., videotapes, DVDs).
- Surgery observation needs to have an educational component with objectives, outline and letter of verification from the physician or surgeon.
|Possible Activities||Number of CEUs||Required Documentation|
non-PTBCCT Approved Providers
|1 CEU per contact hour||Verification of attendance including number of contact hours and event date, the PTBCCT requires a copy of the program for clarification|
|Surgery Observation||maximum of 2 CEUs per surgery||Outline and letter of verification from Surgeon indicating surgery performed|