Specialist Certification Examination for Physical Therapists
The examination is offered to qualified physical therapists at each annual scientific meeting of the American Academy of Orofacial Pain (AAOP).
The PTBCCT is an independent, international 501-C non-profit organization of physical therapists that owns and controls the use of the certification examination and has sole authority over policy and financial decisions related to it.
The examination is graded and statistically analyzed by the professional direction of the Data Recognition Corporation, an independent psychometric testing service for the medical and dental profession.
Date and location for the 15th annual certification examination
Examination Date/Time: Wednesday, April 27th, 2022 from 2:00 – 5:00 PM
Examination Location: Westin Waterfront Hotel, Boston, MA
Requirements to apply for and sit for the Examination
- Three years of clinical experience as a physical therapist with at least two that include specialization in the evaluation and treatment of patients with cervical, temporomandibular and orofacial (including cervicogenic headaches) pain/dysfunction syndromes.
- 2000 hours of clinical practice over the past 3-10 years within the specialty areas of the cervical spine, TMD, OFP, headaches and related dental pathology.
- 25% or 500 of the 2000 hours must have been obtained within the last 3 years.
- 100 hours of CE credit specifically within the areas noted above obtained during the past 3-10 years.
- CEU hours consist of the following: Courses (attended and taught), lectures attended and presented, published articles or research papers in professional journals, textbooks or post-graduate educational degrees. Attendance at scientific meetings such as AAOP. In addition, any documented time spent observing in a clinical office or university with experienced dentists, oral surgeons, PT’s, or neurologists will also be accepted. Note that the application review committee will award extra CEU hours for publications, lecture and course presentations.
- An online documentation form that is similar to that used by the APTA, must be completed by each applicant to specify how CE hours were obtained. All online application forms are to be submitted along with the following materials:
- Two letters of recommendation, one of which must be from either a dentist/oral surgeon and the other from a PT that is known and approved by a member of the application review committee. The dentist / oral surgeon and PT must be someone with whom you currently have a professional working relationship for the past 2 years. Circumstances of the professional relationship must be outlined in the letter. All letters must be on the dentist/oral surgeons and PT stationary. One of these letters must be from a member of AAOP.
- A current copy of your PT license in the state or country within which you practice.
- Copies of the certificate from each continuing education course as well as documentation of each lecture, professional/scientific meeting, university course, etc. that you attended which was relevant to our field.
- A copy of your practice, hospital or university letterhead, business card, yellow-page advertisement/listing and website (as applicable).
- Proof of membership in your respective national professional organization.
- One recent passport photo ID with your signature and printed name on the back of the passport.
The online Application Form and the $750 Application Fee must be submitted and received on or before midnight Eastern Time March 1st, 2022
All information on the application form is transmitted securely over the Internet and stored on a secure web server.
Payment is made securely by credit card after both application forms (Part 1 and Part 2) are submitted.
Upon acceptance of your application, an authorization letter will be emailed to you by the Application Committee of the PTBCCT.
The authorization letter plus a photo ID must be presented at the examination site at the time of the test. No exception to this requirement will be made.
Incomplete Application / failure to pass the CCT Exam
If the applicant’s application is denied and the applicant does not wish to resubmit a revised application, a refund of $600 of the $750 application fee will be made.
If the applicant fails to pass the CCTT exam, applicant can retake the test within a year. Cost to retake the test is $375. Time and place to retake the test to be determined.
Click the link below to begin the application process.